Outreach Update: October 2022
Happy Fall! There are many ways below to engage in your community-
some new and some recurring. Please read through them and I hope you will give one or more a try!
- Time sensitive: For many years St. Luke’s has funded Thanksgiving baskets for Grace Woodlawn to distribute. In addition, volunteers 16yrs and older are needed to work at Christian Service Mission for a couple of hours packing these boxes. If you can
volunteer on Saturday, October 8 from 9am-11am please contact John Rutherford at firstname.lastname@example.org (As I typed this the game time for Alabama that day was announced for 7pm. PLENTY of time to do both!!) We still need about 15 folks!
- Hurricane Fiona: Many of you have asked how we can help those affected by the recent storms. One easy way is to give to the Episcopal Relief and Development Fund at https://support.episcopalrelief.org/donate
- Family Promise fundraiser is BACK!!!! Family Promise is a homeless shelter for families that operates on a rotation model, and St. Luke’s has been a participating congregation for almost 20 years. FP is open again since closing in 2020, but since then has continued to assist families through Homelessness Prevention funds. The event this year is a breakfast at The Club on October, 25 at 7:00 a.m. Today I helped with a promo video for this and am very excited about it! The link to register is https://fpbhambreakfast.swell.gives/. The breakfast is free to attend and will include a short video and a couple of speakers. PLEASE COME and hear all about Family
Promise and the plans for the future. If you are unable to attend in person, there is a button to donate in the link above.
- STAIR NORWOOD NEEDS VOLUNTEER READING TUTORS! This program produces proven results in reading improvement for 1st and 2nd graders! STAIR meets at Norwood School on Tuesdays/Thursdays from 3:30-4:30. Quality training is provided. Volunteers may choose one or both days to make a huge difference in the life of a new reader. Volunteers must register at https://www.stairbirmingham.
org/tutor. You may also contact Margaret Sullivan at 205-999-1660, or Jeannette Watford 205-249-3530. This is a great opportunity for junior high and high school students.
- Greater Birmingham Ministries food distribution: Volunteers are needed to help load food bags into cars as folks drive through. Each family receives 2 bags of groceries plus meat. They usually finish before 8:30 a.m. The next date is Aug 19, 2022 Sign-up here to Volunteer!
- St. Andy’s Pantry is a ministry of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, feeding about 300 people at each food distribution. Volunteers are needed to stock the pantry, check in guests, and hand out the bags. Click here to volunteer!