November Outreach Opportunities
Outreach Update: November 6, 2020
Community Kitchens: CK feeds the hungry and homeless in Birmingham through various ways. Lunch is served 365 days a year from St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church and Grace Episcopal Church in Woodlawn, and breakfast is served five days a week at Grace Episcopal. CK provides lunch for those attending Church in the Park each week at Linn Park. Community Kitchens serves over 65,000 meals each year. Since the pandemic, all meals have been provided on a “take out” basis with safety protocols in place to protect guests and volunteers. There has been a 20% increase in numbers of guests served resulting in nearly $7,000 in over-budget expenditures. The organization receives no government funds but depends on donations and volunteer workers to provide services. The doors to Community Kitchen are open to all with everyone welcomed equally. Information about volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups is available at www.thecommunitykitchens.org.
1. Saint Luke’s SEC Blood Drive
Not just any blood drive…but an SEC Champs Blood Drive where our very own Rich Webster will wear the jersey of the team with the most fans to donate and volunteer at the Blood Drive! Sunday, December 13th from 10am-2pm in Graham Hall.
We need volunteers! Please share this sign up link with your prospective groups. We will need two volunteers at each station: Maloof Entrance, Claypool Commons Entrance, & in Graham Hall
We need donors! Please also share the link below! If you donate, you will also receive an antibody test. The donor will need to set up an account with Red Cross.
2. CAMP MCDOWELL: Camp McDowell Needs Your Help! Camp needs volunteers to help with their community Fall Festival on Sunday, November 15. Volunteers are needed for a 12-5:00pm shift. Duties will include greeting, directing people, helping with set up and clean up, etc. Please consider volunteering! For more information or to sign up to be a volunteer please contact Amanda Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org THANK YOU! (The festival sounds like a blast, with hiking, canoeing, hayrides, sack races and more. Register at CampMcdowell.org)
3. GRACE WOODLAWN: Let’s stock the coat closet at Grace Woodlawn! Please bring new or gently used coats/jackets of any size each Wednesday thru the end of the year. Bins will be out at the back (Maloof) entrance. Toiletries are always appreciated as well.
4. CHRISTIAN SERVICE MISSION: Unfortunately, we will not be actually packing the Thanksgiving boxes of food this year, but volunteers are needed to transport the 100 boxes of food to Grace Episcopal in Woodlawn on Saturday morning, Nov 21. Details coming soon about what is needed for distribution at Grace. Please email Kim if you can help email@example.com
5. A CHRISTMAS VILLAGE: This year, Saint Luke’s will serve the Samaritan Place Market: A Christmas Village. This is a shopping experience for invited guests to shop for the children in their home. More information here.