Parish Wide Opportunities to Serve
November 1, 2023
St. Luke’s continues to identify wonderful opportunities for you to serve Jesus by serving others. Below are several ways for individuals or families to be involved in community outreach.
- Grace Woodlawn Thanksgiving boxes: Saint Luke’s sponsors 150 food boxes for Grace to distribute the week of Thanksgiving. If you have a truck or large SUV and can help load and transport the boxes on Saturday morning, November 18, please contact Keehn Berry firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to help unload at Grace on November 18 or distribute the food on Tuesday, November 21, contact Brad Lamont 205-529-0640.
- Christmas Village: Saint Luke’s is partnering again with Canterbury United Methodist Church to provide Christmas Village, transforming Avondale Samaritan Place (formerly the gym at Avondale United Methodist Church) into a Christmas Market for referred guests to shop for their children. All gifts are new but sold at a 75% discount. We need YOU to:
1) Shop to provide the gifts. George at Snoozy’s is ready to help you make your purchases, or you can order from the Amazon list; if using Amazon, select “Christmas Village’s Gift Registry,” and your item will ship directly to Canterbury. Items MUST be received at Canterbury by November 27, so let’s get shopping!
2) Volunteer! Come be a part of this wonderful and fun experience. There are a variety of roles on December 4, 6, 7.
- Food for the holiday break: Saint Luke’s is teaming with The Advent and St. Mary’s to provide food bags for EVERY student at Glen Iris Elementary – 825 of them!! Time off from school can be especially difficulty for families who are food insecure (1 in 5 kids in Alabama are considered food insecure). Proceeds from sales of Sunday
breakfast and Wednesday night suppers are helping make this possible. Stuffing the bags will take place at St. Mary’s on the Highlands on Sunday, December 10 from 3-5pm. ALL are welcomed and encouraged to help!
- Firehouse Shelter upcoming dates: 1/5, 3/1, 5/3
Saint Luke’s provides a meal once every other month on Friday evenings for the Firehouse Men’s Shelter downtown. This is an excellent opportunity to serve as a family.Questions? Contact us here. Sign up to Serve.
- St. Andy’s Pantry is a ministry of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, feeding about 300 people at each food distribution. Volunteers are needed to stock the pantry, check in guests, and hand out the bags on Thursdays and Saturdays, every other week. GREAT FAMILY OPPORTUNITY! Sign up here.Looking ahead: Saint Luke’s will partner with the Advent and St. Mary’s to provide food bags for EVERY student at Glen Iris to have during the Christmas holidays. That’s 750 students!! Saint Luke’s kitchen ministry will help fund this endeavor, so every time you purchase a Wednesday night dinner or enjoy Sunday breakfast, know that your dollars will help keep some children fed this winter. The packing date is Dec 10th from 3pm to 5pm at St. Mary’s, so mark your calendars.